I have noticed the
importance of computer use within my centre as it is evident first thing in the
morning when the children arrive. Within
my centre we have a computer room situated at the front of the building in
which we have four computers. Next to
it, there is a table where the children are required to sign themselves in
using a pencil and paper, following that they are required to sign in by typing
there full name onto a word document on the computer.
I have been fortunate enough to see the benefits that
this technological practice has on the children’s learning development, as they
have a sound knowledge of where each key is located on the keyboard. Not only that, they are able to sign in using
a pass-worded log-in and can navigate their way to the required documents on
the desktop. This is important as when
using the internet, passwords are becoming more and more significant to ensure
our information is protected. A moment
that caught my attention was when I was working the opening shift at my centre. I turned on the computers in order for them
to be ready for when the children arrived and to my surprise the computers were
password protected. I had no idea of the
password and my colleague was nowhere in sight.
(M.H) was the first child to arrive and she immediately entered the
computer room where I was sitting, looking puzzled. I told the child that she would have to wait
a minute while I asked my colleague what the password was. Before I had a chance to walk out of the room
the child responded; “I know what it is!”
She quickly jumped onto the computer chair and 3 seconds later we were
logged in, ready to go. This child
showed confidence in using technology which is a necessary ability to have in
this day and age. Technology is changing
rapidly, and our society is becoming more and more reliant on it. If children are able to embrace technology
and its benefits, they are better equipped to grow with our changing society
(Smorti, 1999).
This experience was a wakeup call for me. I have never been technologically advanced,
and have never been too fussed about the latest gadgets. However, when a four year old girl can work a
computer better and faster then you it makes you think that it is a necessary skill
to have a sound knowledge in. As a
teacher, I see the importance of embracing technology within the early
childhood setting. However, in order to
do this I believe that we must be willing to learn about this ever-changing
topic ourselves as computers and other technological equipment are more likely
to be useful instructional tools when teachers are personally comfortable using
them (Tsantis, Bewick & Thornton, 2003).
Technology is a significant and relevant part in our
everyday lives within the early childhood setting and computers are an
effective tool in preparing the children for the world that they are growing up
in. As teachers, we should embrace it in
order to show the children that it is not something to be afraid of, but
excited about (Fleer & Jane, 2011). The
sooner children are introduced to computers; the more readily they will adjust
to the rapidly changing features of technology and be equipped to use these
technologies for different purposes as they explore the world (Ministry of
Education, 1996).
Reference list
Fleer, M., &
Jane, B. (2011). Design and technology for children. Frenchs Forest,
Australia: Pearson Australia.
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā
mokopuna o Aotearoa : Early childhood
curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Smorti, S. (1999) Technology in Early
Childhood. Early Education, 19, 5-10.
Tsantis, L., Bewick, C., &
Thornton, S. (2003). Examining some common myths about computers in the early
years. Young Children on the Web,
November 2003, 1-9.
Danielle I agree with you that we teachers need to set aside our fears and be willing to face the challenge of embracing technology within the early childhood setting as it is such a big part of children’s lives today. “Well prepared teachers, who recognise the power and limitations of technology are needed now more than ever” (Tsantis, Bewick & Thornton, 2003, p.10). As teachers we need to educate children on the skills to use technology in order for them to succeed and survive in today’s world. We can only achieve this by broadening our knowledge and skill base in this area (Smorti, 1999). It is awesome that child MH was aware of the password. I believe that making children aware of passwords is a great way of introducing them to cybersafety. It is also great that children have the opportunity to sign in by typing in their names into the word document as they are gaining letter recognition and typing skills. According to Te Whāriki children should “develop experience with some of the technology and resources for reading, writing and mathematics” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.78). The computer is a catalyst for information sharing, language development and decision making (Davidson & Wright as cited in Tsantis, Bewick & Thouvenelle, 2003). Maybe next time you could consider using the computer as a communication tool?
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing to see many centres are embracing ICT use in their education curriculum. I think it is a very significant development in early childhood education these days. Danielle said her centre has four computers and children are signing in by typing on the computer. I have to admit I never expected to see this in the early childhood services. Indeed, Danielle seems fortunate to work for this kinds of centre which provides a significant investment to enable children’s access to digital devices. No wonder children have skills and confidence in using computer including passwords, MS word program. I totally agree with Danielle that teachers should update their knowledge and skills in the area of technology to be capable of support children’s learning. It is true that “traditional teacher skills can’t keep the attention of that young or varied an age group” (Gonzalez-Mena, 2008, p. 89). Children are no longer “passive recipients of the information” (Wang, 2008, p. 37). I believe Danielle moves on the right direction when she plans to embrace technology in her teaching practice.
ReplyDeleteReference
Gonzalez-Mena, J. (2008). Foundations of early childhood education: Teaching children in a diverse society. (5th ed.). Boston, MA: McGrawHill.
Wang, H. (2008). Exploring the educational use of blogs in U.S. education. US – China Education Review, 5(10), 34-37.
Excellent in depth reflection Danielle, your reflection defines the importance of using and being technological literate in using the computers. Your center is well resourced with technological tools such as the computer, I really like the idea of children using the computer to sign themselves in, amazing! I really would like to implement that idea into our center as I believe it truly supports children being competent and capable individuals. Research shows that computers use supports and increases young children skills in the social, cognitive, language, literacy, writing, and mathematical realms (McManis & Gunnewig, 2012). I agree with you, teachers need to embrace technology as confident and capable individuals because if children see us as not being knowledgeable in technological tools then why should children learn to be confident and capable individuals? If they don’t have the supportive environment and the teachers as facilitators for their learning then this could hinder the children’s learning and development. Te Whāriki states that; “Growing experience in solving problems together develops children’s understanding of how technologies can help them and others” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p. 96). Teacher’s guidance for children using computers is associated with increases in abstract reasoning, planning behavior, visual-motor coordination, and visual memory (McManis & Gunnewig, 2012). When teachers support children and media-rich content is integrated with the curriculum, technology experiences are associated with better language and literacy outcomes creating and preparing children to be digital citizens who are technologically literate (Couse & Chen, 2010).
ReplyDeleteReference List:
Couse, L. J. & Chen, D. (2010). A tablet computer for young children? Exploring its viability for early childhood education. Journal of research on technology in education, 43 (1), 75-98.
McManis, L., & Gunnewig, S.B. (2012). Finding the Education in Educational Technology with Early Learners. Young Children, 67 (3), 14-24.
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā mokopuna o Aotearoa : Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Danielle, I was surprised to read in your centre you have four computers for the children to sign in on. In our centre the children do not have access to computers like that.
ReplyDeleteI really like how your centre uses the computers to sign in, the children are learning technology literacy.
Children are more knowledgeable and confident when it comes to using a computer and having them in a centre extends on their knowledge and confidence in this area.
I agree with you teacher need to learn together and grow with technology, so they can support and encourage children in their knowledge and development of learning technology."With professional development opportunities for teachers, technology can meet the promise of its potential to enhance the teaching/learning process" (Tsantis, Bewick, Thouvenelle, 2003, p.3).
I hope you centre keeps up with using technology and increasing the children's knowledge and confidence in this area.
Reference List
Tsantis, L.A., Bewick, C.j., & Thouvenell, S. (2003).Examining
some common myths about computors use in the early years.
Young Childre, 58(1), 1-9.