Saturday, 30 March 2013

Cooking as Technology



On Monday the 18th of March I was on kitchen duties within my centre.  I decided that it would be a nice treat for the children (and the staff) to make scones for morning tea.  I proceeded to bring together the required ingredients and utensils in order to make the scones and with the children’s help we made our product.

Together, the children took turns at combining the ingredients and then mixing them in our large mixing bowl until the substance transformed into a solid, doughy mixture.  Once we had reached this stage of the process, it was time to separate the mixture into individual little balls and place them on a baking tray.  We talked about making sure they were all approximately the same size in order for them to cook evenly; ensuring that one does not burn while the other is still uncooked.  Once this stage was complete we placed them into the oven to cook.  Approximately ten minutes later we checked our product to see its transformation.  We noticed the change in colour and size immediately.  “It’s gotten bigger aye!”  Stated (C.S).  And  it’s gotten browner!”  Replied (A.F).  Later on it was time to take our scones out of the oven and taste-test them.  I asked the children what they noticed about the texture;  “How does it feel now, after being in the oven?”  “It’s turned hard!”  Said (J.B).  The children were able to understand that there is a process involved in the things we consume.  That it does not just appear exactly how we see it, from nothing.  They are also able to understand that there is equipment involved in order to make our job easier and more efficient.  These utensils are designed to solve a problem and create an easier, more idealistic way of doing things.  Te Whāriki states that; “Growing experience in solving problems together develops children’s understanding of how technologies can help them and others” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p. 96).  In this example we solved the problem of transforming simple ingredients into a final, edible product.

Whenever I am on kitchen duties at work, I either cook or bake with the children.  Whether it is baking cupcakes or cooking macaroni and cheese, I find it exciting and intriguing for the children.  However, I have never once considered this as a technological activity, let alone considered the utensils we use as technological equipment.  Smorti (1999), states that technology is about helping people and solving problems.   It can be an innovative and purposeful activity designed to meet our needs through the development of products, systems or environments.  Therefore cooking is technology as it meets our needs of providing morning tea and requires a process of developing individual ingredients into a final product.  The utensils (such as the rolling pin we used) are considered as technology as they are tools that we require in order to prepare the product, tools that make our job easier.

Technology is not only about electronic equipment such as the latest digital gadgets, which unfortunately is sometimes all it’s identified with.  It is important to understand that technological activities, such as cooking, help to develop children’s innovation, enquiry and curiosity (Ministry of Education, 2007).  Teachers are encouraged to incorporate technological experiences within the early childhood setting in order to enhance children’s practical skills as they develop products through specific processes (Fleer & Jane, 2011).

  


Reference list

Fleer, M., & Jane, B. (2011). Design and technology for children. Frenchs Forest,
          Australia: Pearson Australia.

Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā mokopuna o
          Aotearoa : Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning 
          Media.

Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand Curriculum: For English-medium
          teaching and learning in years 1-13. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.

Smorti, S. (1999) Technology in Early Childhood. Early Education, 19, 5-10.

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely experience for the children! I was also amazed to discover that baking was a technological experience. Like you, I was struggling to understand how baking which was not digital, modern or computer centric could be classified as technology. Who would have thought the good old rolling pin was technology? Smorti’s reading clarified my understanding when she stated “technology is a creative and purposeful activity aimed at meeting needs and opportunities through the development of products, systems or environments. Knowledge, skills and resources are combined to find solutions” (Smorti, 1999, p.6).
    Baking is such a great experience for children as there is so much learning that can happen. It is a great way for children to develop their social skills, literacy skills, maths and science concepts. Have you given any thought to the essential practical skills the children were gaining from the baking experience? One of the learning outcomes of Te Whāriki is for children to develop their practical skills (Ministry of Education, 1996). Ka pai Danielle! I’m sure the children find cooking with you just as exciting and intriguing as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was quite interesting to see how Danielle evolved in her perspective on the issue of technological equipment and technological education. Danielle said she didn’t consider cooking as a technological activity at first, but she found out that technology is not only about electronic equipment. I totally agree with Danielle, technology is everywhere around us including cooking, and cooking utensils are indeed technological tools. Plus, when Danielle provided cooking activity for the children, it was technological learning experience for the children because it was use of ICT in terms of initiating child-centred approach while upholding the principles of Te Whāriki (Ministry of Education, 2005). The four principles of Te Whāriki are “empowerment, holistic development, family and community, and relationships” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p. 30). I believe cooking using various cooking utensils is empowering children in their own learning and growth, encouraging children the holistic way of learning, and providing for responsive relationships with people. Also, as I commented on my second reflection, I think cooking utensils are technological equipment we use every day in our lives, so it is easy item for teachers to introduce and explain about technology to the children.



    Reference

    Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki, he whāriki mātauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.

    Ministry of Education. (2005). Foundations for discovery. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle, your reflection on cooking experiences has strengthened my understanding of technology as including tools and processes which are not directly linked to electronic devices. I too had not considered cooking as a technological process or experience! It is wonderful to see that you have identified the children’s learning happening during cooking experiences, and have extended on the children’s understanding by asking open-ended questions. The teacher’s role in children’s effective use of technology is vital (Fischer & Gillespie, as cited in Can-Yasar, Inal, Uyanik & Kandir, 2012). I feel that through reflecting on this experience, you have deepened your own understanding of what technology is, and can now use your refined knowledge to further develop children’s learning in all areas. Perhaps you could see whether there is any interest amongst the children to find out where ingredients initially come from. You could discuss the different tools used, and processes involved to enable us to get ingredients to the form in which we buy them at the supermarket. For example; flour or milk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kai pai Danielle, you created a valuable learning experience for the children through cooking. Cooking with young children benefits children’s technological knowledge, skills and concepts of how technology products and designs reinforce children’s learning and development (Fleer & Jane, 2011). From your experience I could acknowledge the valid learning outcomes that occurred, it created an experience where children and teachers thinking and practices that involves the importance of critical thinking such as problem solving, collaboration and being creative (Ministry of Education, 2007). I believe from your experience it has defined the meaning of technology, technology is the use of practical and intellectual resources that meets children’s needs and realising opportunities for discoveries and problem solving (Ministry of Education, 2007). You stated that “teachers are encouraged to incorporate technological experiences within the early childhood setting in order to enhance children’s practical skills as they develop products through specific processes” (Fleer &Jane, 2011). I agree with this because I believe teachers are facilitators for are passionate learners, you created an experience where the children learnt about the process and product of cooking and the importance of using technological tools to support the children’s understanding. I believe children can truly feel a sense of belonging when they do something unique such as cooking, because the technological environment supports them and gives them the opportunity to be competent and capable individuals (Feeney, n.d.).


    Reference List:

    Feeney, L. (n.d.). Learning through play cooking: a practical guide for teaching young children. Retrieved from:
    http://academic.evergreen.edu/a/ahecat22/w07responsecooking.html
    Fleer,M., &Jane,B. (2011). Design and technology for children. Frenchs Forest, Australia: Pearson Australia.
    Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle, I enjoyed reading your reflection on the cooking experience you had with the children. As you said you never considered cooking as technology,I thought the same until I read your reflection and literature on the subject.The children are also learning useful skills, creative skills, problem solving while working together."Technology is also creative and purposeful activity through the development of products systems and environments" (Smorti, 1999, p.5).
    I never would of thought that when the children were using cooking utensils they are using technology, I thought the tool had to be digital."In addition to the many learning outcomes that focus on problem solving and social science areas that are a part of the process of technology" (Smorti, 199, p.8).

    Reference List
    Smorti. S. (1999). Technology in early childhood. Early education,
    1,5-10.

    ReplyDelete